NPC was founded in 2003 and has been continuously accredited by the DEAC since 2006. Initially offering 10 courses and one academic program, NPC now offers seven academic programs and more than 100 courses. NPC courses are synchronous, instructor-led and feature live interaction with instructors and lectures and other materials that can be viewed or downloaded for offline use by students at any time.
The mission of National Juris University is to provide quality Internet-based education to students seeking careers in the legal and regulatory professions. NJU seeks to enable those students whose lifestyles lead them to opt for distance education to obtain comprehensive instruction and training to meet their educational goals without having to compromise academic quality.
The goals of National Juris University are:
- To provide students with a rigorous academic foundation as well as the career-oriented skills necessary to succeed in the workplace.
- To use technology in order to bring the interactivity of the brick-and-mortar school experience into the student's home or office.
- To create a collaborative online learning environment by encouraging class and message board participation by students and staff so that students can learn from each other as well as from faculty members.
- To give individual attention and instruction to each NJU student through the diligent efforts of involved and interested professors, teacher's assistants and other faculty members.
- To encourage student learning in legal subjects by dynamic instruction that piques student interest in the subject matter.
- To prepare NJU students with the skills necessary to work as non-lawyer legal professionals at law firms, corporate law departments and firms and organizations that specialize in taxation.
- To provide effective placement assistance services so that students have the opportunity to secure satisfying jobs in which they can make full use of their NJU education.
- To enable students to read, understand and interpret legal materials such as cases, statutes, and other legal sources in a wide variety of contexts.
- To teach NJU students to find relevant legal materials, including statutes, cases and secondary sources that are necessary to effectively conduct legal research.
- To train NJU students to appropriately apply case law to the facts of hypothetical situations as they are likely to arise during the student's work as a legal professional.
- To ensure that NJU students are acutely aware of their ethical responsibilities as legal professionals, including their responsibilities to avoid the unauthorized practice of law in their work environment.
National Juris University offers programs leading to the following degrees:
All programs require the completion of 36 credit hours.
All programs consist of highly interactive structured courses.
The faculty is comprised of dynamic attorneys and other qualified professionals who bring the real-world law firm experience directly to you. Our team includes attorneys who have practiced law in the United States and abroad, computer professionals, and support personnel who have intimate knowledge of the day-to-day problems that challenge the legal or tax professional.
Live, Interactive Classrooms
National Juris University is a pioneer of interactive online distance education, and has fully interactive lectures given by experienced attorneys.
The interactive lecture brings the standard classroom experience into the privacy, comfort, and convenience of a student's home.
Instructors are able to draw illustrations, highlight, and mark up exhibits for all students to see, as the lecture takes place on the electronic whiteboard.
- Lectures include analysis and discussion of legal concepts and how they apply to current legal and social issues.
All lectures are recorded in audio/video format. Students can view the lectures at any time at their own convenience. Attendance during lectures is
mandatory. The advantage to attending the lectures live as opposed to watching the recordings is the ability to ask the instructor questions during the lecture. The choice is yours.
Additionally, comprehensive message boards are populated by faculty and staff with legal research, course assignments, industry news and trends, the job market and much more.
Legal Research Training
LexisNexis is the leading completely online legal research tool in the country.
All students at National Juris University receive access to the
LexisNexis Total Research System
and are trained in its use. Students complete extensive research assignments using LexisNexis during the course of their studies and become proficient users of this important legal research tool.
Library and Information Reosurces Network
National Juris University is proud to partner with the Library Information Resources Network (LIRN) to allow our students access to academic, scholarly and popular research sources, including books, journals, magazines, newspapers and periodicals. This research library gives our students access to scores of databases and tens of thousands of documents not available on the open Web or through LexisNexis.
NJU is proud to be an institutional subscriber to the Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction ("CALI") online legal lesson database. Our students have access to the full array of hundreds of lessons across many areas of law. Enrolled NJU students should contract Stephen Haas for information on accessing this lesson database.
NJU uses the
system for exam security. Voice Proctor uses voice biometrics to ensure that the person taking the exam is the student who has registered for the course. This system protects NJU's academic integrity while allowing students to take exams at the time and location of their convenience, without being in front of a camera.